Saturday, February 5, 2011

No Deep Thoughts - Just Updates

Greens(Golf)
Earlier in the year I called out several goals for my golf game.

Place Top 3 in a Golf Channel Amateur Tour Major Event
I have planned my schedule for the year. I intend to participate in at least 5 majors this Season:
  • December - Winter Championship - Grand Cypress - Orlando, FL - Placed 8th
  • April - Midwest Classic - TPC Deere Run - Silvis, IL
  • June - Championship at PGA National - Palm Beach Gardens, FL
  • July - TPC Sawgrass Open - Ponta Vedra, FL
  • August - Greenbrier Open - White Sulphur Springs, WV

If I place top 3 in any of these, or win my flight in Orlando, then I qualify for the National Championship at PGA West in September.

Shave 5-7 Strokes off my game and Break 80 at least once this year

  • Practice has been difficult due to work schedule - however, shot a 41 on the back 9 at Black Bear in Eustis, FL this past weekend. One of my lowest 9's. Rolled in a couple birdies from 30 plus feet.
  • Handicap has actually jumped up to 20.3 from 20.0. I had a couple bad tournament rounds with 2 blow up holes in each round. Shot a 103 at Juliette Falls while carding a 10 and a 12. Just need to grow from 16 great holes to 18 great holes.

Improve physical flexibility for better execution of golf swing - Improve Nutrition and lose 35 pounds for better stamina during rounds

  • I have started working with Mark McCoy. He is a personal trainer in Apopka, FL. Mark is working with me on physical training and nutrition.
  • I am 5 sessions in, and I have found that my prior 3 times per week gym visits have been fairly useless with regards to golf. How do I know this - Some of the items he has me doing cause my muscles to seize up instantly. Great to target the correct areas to maximize my range of motion - I see great value in this effort.
  • I have started a nutrition regimen that will get my metabolism flying - toughest part - eating enough and drinking enough water. My kidneys are sure getting a workout.
Grapes(Wine) and Grub(Food)
I recently dined at Jack's Steakhouse in Baldwin Park. Baldwin Park is a planned neighborhood on the east side of Orlando - I believe it is the site of a former military base. I could find multiple things to do - including visiting Caddyshanks - which is a golf bar - gotta visit.

Jack's was a good experience in spite of itself. My thought is that they are having a little financial issue - why - the place was not full - and the waiter approached the table to let me know that they were out of filet mignon and lamb - (keep in mind this is a steakhouse). The person I was dining with ordered a beer and the response was, "we do not have much beer tonight" - so - not a lot of seats full and low inventory = concern for viability. Remember - I earn my living as a restaurant consultant.

The server seemed to be pushing us to eat very quickly, and we had to pace him. We were having a business meeting over the course of the evening and had no need to rush. He adapted to our understanding of pace and the evening got better.

I made a great choice with the wine - cabernet - Cult - It was on the list between Frog's Leap and the cheap stuff. I always know when the wine pours and it is a dark red color - that I will enjoy it.

My business associate lives in the area and frequents Jack's, but he usually sits at the bar. He tipped me off to an off the menu steak salad - it was prepared to perfection (normally made with filet(note earlier) - so made with ny strip on this visit- I would order this dish again. I also had a carpaccio appetizer, and it competed with any other carpaccio I have had.

So - to summarize - Great Wine - Good Food - Okay service - earns a repeat visit - I might even make it a destination - but it certainly would not get my veto if someone suggested dining there.

Upcoming Thoughts
I am formulating my thoughts on the recent trend of calling in violations and golfers being dq'd. I am going to provide my opinion on that - I tried to call about Bill Buckner's little mishap in 86 but that decision still stands :-(

I also am going to chime in on this whole twitter thing. The wall street journal and golf channel have done stories on golf and twitter - the great thing is that I have lived it over the past couple years - you will get the thoughts from a fan's perspective.

Did I mention that I am in the 95th percentile for Fantasy Golf - and it seems Hunter Mahan, Phil Mickelson, and Vaughn Taylor need to come through for me this weekend in Phoenix. Troy Merritt looks like he will miss the cut - so - only three going into the weekend for me.

Until next time - long and straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment