Monday, February 21, 2011

Twitter - A Golf Fan Generator!

Does anyone else love twitter as much as I do?

There is nothing that has linked my emotions to golf, and golfers, more than this miracle of social networking.

When I bought my first set of golf clubs two years ago at the age of 42 - my knowledge of golf was Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, and of course, Tiger Woods. I did check out of a hotel once in Phoenix several years ago, and Arnold Palmer was checking out next to me, but other than that - the closest I got to a golf tournament was carrying my brother's bag once when I was in my early 20's at a local club championship.

I bought my first i-phone at about the same time I bought my first set of golf clubs. I had a friend who was updating his facebook status from twitter, so I decided to give twitter a try. Well, guess what? I quickly figured out that twitter is about as fun as watching paint dry if you don't actually follow anyone.

I saw someone named Rory McIlroy in a footjoy ad, so I decided to see if he was on twitter. The next thing I know I am looking at pictures of Rory sitting in his kitchen showing the world that he had to bandage his fingers. Really? - I just have to follow this golf phenom, and he will let me into his world - his home? Holy crap!

I see an ad in Orlando on tv about a contest to play golf with Ian Poulter - hmmm...wonder if he's on Twitter. Soon after I follow Ian, I am being treated to snapshots of his home, closet organization, his garage, the numerous golf bags he has, and his trips to Starbucks. I tried to convert him to visit the coffee company that employs me, and we have a location near him in Lake Nona, but to no avail - alas, maybe he just didn't tell me he converted :-).

I continued to play golf regularly and talk all the time about what different golfers are doing. Hey - Ian Poulter just got a Labradoodle. John Daly is mad at some reporter and wants me to call the reporter's cell number and tell him to *&^% off. Stewart Cink just had BBQ for dinner and his kid isn't feeling well - but may have outgrown the batman mural at the pediatricians office. The boys from Lake Nona just took a chopper to Isleworth for the Tavistock cup. I know more about what these guys are doing than I do about my own family - with updates in real time!

And then it happened!

I was following a couple guys named Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler - didn't know much about them at the time, so to speak, but I knew Bubba had lobbyed to be on Ellen. After seeing videos of Ricky and Bubba pushing each other around in grocery carts in a parking lot - I sent a tweet "mentioning" them and thanking them for sharing the fun. I had tweeted many times mentioning golfers I followed without any response, so I was not expecting anything. I checked my twitter about five minutes later for anymore Bubba/Ricky videos - and there it was - I had a mention - I clicked on the mention and it was from BUBBA WATSON - it said "ur welcome". Are you kidding me? Bubba Watson had just sent me a message! I'm showing my friends, texting my golf instructor, and bouncing around the house on quite a high. A PGA Tour golfer had just taken the time to respond to my tweet personally. Ian Poulter quickly slid to number 2, as he has never responded to a tweet of mine(of course he has over a million followers and is rather busy, but hey - it's all about me), and Bubba had just taken Ian's place as twitter world number one in my book!

McIlroy was one of my first follows and he had gone rather quiet - when I realized he was no longer tweeting I decided to try to enlist Rickie and Bubba to get him back on. I tweeted to them - hey - if you talk to Rory this week- tell him to get back on twitter. Before the end of the tournament - Rory had opened up a new twitter account and was tweeting again. Not saying it was me that got him back on twitter, but in my mind, I did - hahaha.

I also follow a golfer aspiring to be on the Europen Tour - he was the first person to follow me on twitter that I did not know. He must have gotten my name off Rory's follower list. I gave him a follow back, and if you want to follow a dynamic individual who you will want to route for- follow Jon - @jgidney.

It has been amazingly educational for me, being new to golf, to follow Jon as he turned pro on the mini tours over in Europe. He tweeted about his first year on these tours, and it gave an incredible insight into how much work and perseverance it takes to continue to follow your goal of making the European Tour. I emailed him a few times to ask about things like Q-School, The Challenge Tour,(had no idea what they were), and he graciously answered. He also came up with a great way to earn money to support his quest for a tour card - Club Gidney - Check it out at jonathangidney.com - offers you value in return for a very minimal fee that goes to supporting his upcoming season. I happily opened a paypal account and sent him my 10pound a month for his golf tips.

I also have had the pleasure of watching as the golf press has started to embrace twitter like I have. Saw a tweet once from a golf journalist - can't remember the name -but the jist was - hard to get an original story when you are being scooped by the players themselves on twitter! An example - I saw Lee Westwood's rant about Rory McIlroy not winning PGA Tour Rookie of the Year in real time, and later it got lot's of play in the press. I can relate to Lee as I have a filter issue as well :-)

The golf news programs now report on tweets for those who don't follow twitter. This demonstrates that the tweets are quickly becoming a steady source for interesting news. Live accounts with out a publicist filtering.

If you aren't using twitter to follow golf - then I highly suggest it. Here are a few folks that are active "tweeters"/worth a follow(* means they have responded) I'll Bold my favorites:

@jgidney *- @ianjamespoulter - @pga_johndaly - @rickiefowlerpga - @bubbawatson * - @graeme_mcdowell - @krisjonesgolf * - @stu1hemming * - @golfchannel * - @stewartcink - @mcilroyrory - @amgolfmindcoach * - @willfoxgolf * - @johnraser * - @jackawallace * - @scottwalkerontv * - @adamsmg * - @justinrose99 - @thechristinakim * - @westwoodlee - @clubgidney - @kellytilghman - @adampetersgolf *- @jamielovemark *

Let's face it - the PGA Tour, the players, the equipment companies, and golf itself are all in the business of building their brand. Connecting with your customer in a fun and engaging way is a great way to do that. Twitter makes it possible for fans and consumers to feel like they have a personal relationship anyone or company they follow.

I truly believe that Golf owes its' growing ratings - and a big thank you - to Twitter for the loyalty of this consumer - and probably many more.

Love to hear your thoughts - until then - long and straight!

2 comments:

  1. David - It's exciting to see, in your own words, how using Twitter has brought you closer to the game of golf and our players. I know you aren't the only one who is enjoying following and interacting with players via Twitter and other social networking sites. It's fun, isn't it?

    I work for the PGA TOUR, so I was hoping you were going to add @PGATOUR to your list of Twitter accounts you enjoy following. The ones you mentioned above are all solid Twitter users though! If you want to get the full list of PGA TOUR players & events on Twitter, check out http://bit.ly/golflists for all the official lists from the @PGATOUR account.

    Thanks again for your post -
    Lauren T. (@ltbeyer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - Thanks for your comments. I am having lots of fun learning about golf, the players, and the power of social networking.

    I have been a follower of @PGATOUR for quite awhile now. I watch your tweets for tour news, and I stay up with new players starting on twitter. I must have thought all golf fans on twitter would already follow you :-)

    Again - thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.

    David

    ReplyDelete